December is very nearly here and with it a festive season like no other. While we may not know exactly how we can celebrate this year and who with, it certainly feels like some Christmas cheer is needed more than ever.
For me when Advent arrives, I do like to start setting the mood for the fun-filled family celebrations ahead. And over the past couple of years, in the Nordic Notes house we have counted down the days with an Advent Candle and I’ve shared some of my favourites with you. There truly is something rather magical about counting day the dark December days by cosy candlelight.
This time however, I’ve decided to create my own Advent wreath, a traditional Scandinavian centrepiece decorated with four candles. Lit every Sunday leading up to the big day, each one symbolising hope, love, joy and peace.
Originating from pre-Christian times, an Advent wreath can be adorned with whatever you like, from foraged evergreen foliage from a winter walk, through to your oldest and most precious Christmas baubles.
Regardless of faith, nationality, or background, one thing’s for sure, with so many beautiful designs to choose from, an Advent wreath gives any home that festive feeling without compromising on style.
- Broste Copenhagen St Lucia Advent Candle, £42 from Rose and Grey
- By Lassen Kubus 4 Candleholder, £164 from Skandium
- Georg Jensen TUNES Centrepiece, £101.50 (was £145) Georg Jensen
- Cooee Design United Advent Candle, £58 (was £78) from Nordic Nest
- Kristina Dam Candle Mobile, €220 from Kristina Dam
- Ferm Living Bowl Candle Holder, £59 from Lifestory
- House Doctor Puri Candlestick, £33.99 (was £35) from Connox
- OYOY Candleholder Pearl Advent, £39 (was £52) from Nordic Nest
Now all I need is some ginger biscuits and a glass of glogg…
If you are looking for further festive inspiration, please do check out my ‘Nordic Christmas’ Pinterest board.
Images 1 and 2 by Nicola Capper, all others via the brands named above.