This December, rather than counting down to Christmas with a daily chocolate treat, I’ve decided to save some festive calories and embrace the cherished Danish tradition of kalenderlys.
A Christmas Calendar Candle is also a great excuse for me to up the hyggelig levels in our home even further; especially as they are usually lit at breakfast time to brighten up the darkest of winter mornings. Given the weather recently I need all the help I can get to beat the gloom.
Just like a tape measure they are marked with twenty-four lines, one for each day in December. Every morning the corresponding piece of candle is burnt away, and it is usually the children of the family’s duty to blow it out before it burns down too far.
As you would expect they are always beautifully designed too. With many leading brands working with renowned designers to create a bespoke patterns, graphic motifs or folklore themes to celebrate the ritual in true Nordic style each year.
So to help us all find our holiday spirit, here are a few of my favourites to collect:
- 2018 Calendar Candle by Georg Jensen (£15, available from Skandium)
- Hammershøi Calendar Candle, 2018 by Kähler Design (£13.50, available from Connox)
- Advent Calendar Candle by Stelton (£9.95, available from Cloudberry Living)
- Candle Calendar by H&M Home (£4.99, available from H&M Home)
- Nordic Calendar Candle by Lene Bjerre (£14, available from Scandinavian Design Center)
- Scented Advent Candle by Ferm Living (£18, available from Rose & Grey)
- Christmas 2018 Advent Candle by Holmegaard (£11, available from Royal Design)
- Winter Forest Countdown Candle byJette Frölich Design (€11.93, available from Jette Frölich Design)
All images via the respective brands, featured image by Kähler Design.