As the nights draw in, and we once again retreat to the comfort and safety of our own homes; what better way to while away a wet weekend or cold winter’s night than with a good book?
Whether you’re looking for Scandinavian interior design inspiration, an adventurous Nordic escape or just wanting to understand more about the delicious food and trendsetting culture found in this amazing part of the world; you’re in the right place.
As well as lots of exciting new titles being released in time for Christmas, I also wanted to round up some of my own favourite Nordic inspired books, along with a number of older publications no interior design and lifestyle lover’s home should be without.
- The Interior Design Handbook by Frida Ramstedt, £16.45 from Amazon
From one of my favourite bloggers, this comprehensive guide provides the know-how you need to turn any space into your dream home.
- Scandi Rustic Style: Creating a Cozy and Happy Home by Rebecca Lawson and Reena Simon, £15.96 from Wordery
Mixing interiors advice as well as homes from across the UK and beyond, learn how to create this distinctive look from these two amazing bloggers.
- Nordic Cycle: Bicycle Adventures in the North by Tobias Woggon, £18.61 from Wodery
Cycle, camp and cook your way across the Nordic landscape. This book is sure to inspire a future trip or two.
- Fäviken: 4015 Days, Beginning to End by Magnus Nilsson, £30.99 from Amazon
Find out more about the world-renowned restaurant, every dish ever served and the most 100 memorable recipes.
- Childhood, Youth, Dependency: The Copenhagen Trilogy by Tove Ditlevsen, £8.93 from A Great Read
A journey of love, friendship and addiction, from one of Denmark’s most celebrated twentieth-century writers. Out in January so pre-order now.
- Scandinavian Green: Simple Ways to Eat Vegetarian, Every Day by Trine Hahnemann, £20.80 from WHSmith
Over 100 tasty vegetable-focussed recipes to help us all cook and eat with a greener outlook.
- Scandinavian Style at Home: A Room-by-Room Guide by Allan Torp, £14.95 from Waterstones
Allan shows us how to combine classic furniture, lighting and accessories to achieve the most stylish Scandinavian looks.
- The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking £8.19 from Amazon
THE introduction to all things ‘hygge’. The audio book is also a favourite listen of mine too.
- My Scandinavian Home: Interiors Inspired by Light by Niki Brantmark, £9.99 from Books4People
Just like her daily blog, Niki shares a collection of beautiful homes and explores how the Scandinavian lifestyle is reflected in them all.
- The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell, £8.99 from Blackwells
A must-read for anyone who has ever considered making the leap and what moving to Denmark is really like once you’ve done it.
- North: How to Live Scandinavian by Bronte Aurell, £20 from Skandium
Learn how to live and love life the Nordic way. Bronte’s fun way with words are always a joy to read.
- New Nordic Gardens: Scandinavian Landscape Design by Annika Zetterman, £29.95 from Amazon
If you’re looking to bring a sense of Scandinavian style to your outdoor space then is the book for you.
- Finn Juhl: Life, Work, World by Christian Bundegaard, £69.95 from Amazon
A comprehensive collection of work by one of Denmark’s most influential designers and the context in which they were made.
- Alvar Aalto: Second Nature by Mateo Kries and Jochen Eisenbrand, £60 from Amazon
Ten authors take a closer look at the main aspects of this Finnish design legends work and the influences behind them.
- A Frame for Life: The Designs of Studioilse by Ilse Crawford, £26.40 from Wordery
If you buy one book to find out more about Ilse Crawford’s human-centric interiors then this is the one to invest in.
- The Red Thread: Nordic Design by Phaidon, £49.95 from Phaidon
Showcasing and celebrating the diversity of Nordic design through more than 200 incredible everyday objects.
- How to Hygge: The Secrets of Nordic Living by Signe Johansen, £14.99 from Cloudberry Living
Exploring every aspect of Nordic life as well as sharing fifty recipes, Signe’s book is a great read and makes a great gift for any occasion.
- The Nordic Theory of Everything: In Search of a Better Life by Anu Partanen, £9.01 from WHSmith
Fascinating insights, advice and practical solutions on what every society can learn from our Nordic neighbours.
Hopefully, this list of Nordic inspired books has provided you with some new discoveries. Do let me know if you have any further recommendations as I’m always on the lookout for more.
Like this post? You might also enjoy reading, Nordic Inspiration – Interiors magazines to read now.
Image 1 and 2 by Nicola Capper. All other images courtesy of publishers.